One of the most flavorful things you can grow in your raised beds, grow bag or container is also one of the easiest – with a little bit of pre-planning. Garlic! Whichever variety you prefer, Garlic is an easy to grow crop that does well in zones 3-8. In most parts of the country, it needs to be planted in the autumn for harvest next summer.
Our Favorite Garlic Growing Tips:
- The bigger the clove you plant, the bigger the head you’ll harvest, so select the biggest and best cloves from your available stock.
- Garlic will provide some pest protection and will even act as a fungicide for its neighbors! It does well with almost all flowers and veggies, and likes full sun, but keep it away from your Asparagus, Peas, Beans, Sage and Parsley – it will stunt their growth.
- Garlic needs 4-8” spacing in the garden. Tight spacing will produce smaller heads, but can still be useful in small patches in the garden as a companion plant.
- While you have to wait for late summer to harvest the heads, trimming Scapes (the curly stemmed flower bud part) in mid to late June will not only encourage larger bulbs, but also will make a delicious addition to fresh pesto or any other dish that needs a kick.
- When planning your planting, remember to plant about 20-25% more than you need. You’ll then have your own stock for replanting next year!
How to Protect Your Planters from High WindsOk, so the weather is saying a high wind or even a hurricane is on the way. You're running around buying water, candles and taping the windows. But what do you do with all your beautiful planters? You don't want them to become flying missiles, so you not [...]
7 Tips for Container GardeningMake the most of your small space with these container-gardening tips.By R.J. RuppenthalEven if you don’t have a yard or access to a community-garden plot, you can still harvest a bounty of produce all your own. Planting a container garden is a great option for people who have temporary or limited [...]
What to Grow in Your Shade Vegetable Container GardenOne of the questions that I frequently get asked is what vegetables can be grown in a shady garden. Most of us that grow in an urban environment are faced with this situation.I’ve been growing for about 1.5 years between my fire escape garden and now my [...]
Here's a very useful repost from OrganicGardening.com. Q. Is it safe to use galvanized sheet metal to build raised garden beds? —Susan Taylor, Monticello, Utah A. Over time, compounds used in the galvanizing process will leach from galvanized metal into surrounding soil. Climate and soil conditions such as moisture and salinity affect the rate and the [...]
DIY Raised Beds: Planning, Materials and Useful Products Helpful information and advice for building your own raised bed gardens.
One of the reasons we decided to build a company around raised beds is the application they have for Urban Gardening. As long as sun can find a surface, and soil can be set, a garden can grow. Ron Finley is an inspirational community activist, artist, and guerilla gardener, and if any of those things [...]